Vegan Tacos

Over the past couple of years I have realized that you can really “veganize” any recipe and be left with a delicious meal. When you minus the meat and dairy and eggs, vegetablesreally have a chance to stand on their own and they taste great. Don’t get me wrong, I do still eat meat and dairy and eggs, I am just learning to appreciate food without them. Case and point: Tacos “veganized”. No meat, no cheese, no sour cream. Rather sauteed veggies, thick black beans, cream avocado…yum! This easy recipe was a cinch to cook for lunch with simple ingredients that were in the fridge and pantry. I highly recommend it.


Delicious Rating: I used the mini corn tortillas and ended up eating four, they were addicting and full of flavor! My DH said they were great and would have been better with some sort of rice inside too. If you want a heartier taco, I recommend adding rice, but without rice I felt they are light and filling. I had onions and squash so that is what I sauteed up. Feel free to use bell peppers, asparagus, carrots, even broccoli. Keep it simple so that you can really taste each vegetable without muddling them together and let me know how they turned out!

Ingredients
  • 1 tsp olive oil 
  • 1 onion 
  • 1 summer squash 
  • 1 jalapeno 
  • 1 tbsp taco seasoning 
  • 1 lime 
  • 1 can of black beans, rinsed & drained 
  • 10 small corn tortillas 
  • Avocado, sliced 
  • Lettuce 
  • Tomato, diced 
  • Olives 

Instructions
Cut onions into half moons and slice squash and jalapeno.
Heat beans in a small pot or microwave.
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add onions.
Cook onions for 3 minutes and add squash and seasoning.
Squeeze in juice from ½ of the lime.
Stir gently and remove from heat once squash is tender.
Meanwhile, heat tortillas in a warm pan.
Assemble tacos and slice remaining half of lime for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment